All types of training and physical activity are more enjoyable when the body is flexible and capable of performing without restriction. We must include stretching techniques into our daily schedules, if we plan on improving overall health and well being.
Here are 9 health benefits of stretching:
- Improve preparation for athletic activity. Warm-up stretches facilitate increased blood flow to muscles, increasing body temperature, reducing muscle tension, and improving connective tissue pliability.
- Optimized muscle and tendon range of motion up to 1.6 times resting length. At muscle lengths greater than 1.6 times its resting muscle length, muscles will begin to tear and bleed. In general, females are more flexible than males.
- Facilitate the removal of metabolic waste products. Improved oxygenation eliminates carbon dioxide formation; whereas, improved circulation eliminates lactic acid build up.
- Reduce risk of muscle, tendon, ligaments, and joint injures. Improved flexibility optimizes physiologic function.
- Promotes blood circulation. Stretching increases blood flow to the muscles. Not only will this help reduce post-workout soreness and shorten recovery time, but it will improve overall health.
- Reduces soreness. Dynamic stretching before to warm up the muscles. Static stretching after workouts to recover and relax.
- Improves energy levels. Muscles tighten when we feel tired and that makes us feel lethargic. Doing a few good stretches during the day when your tired, will help your body and mind stay alert.
- Increase stamina. Stretching loosens your muscles and tendons which relieves muscle fatigue and increases blood flow. With stretching, you can delay the onset of muscle fatigue by ensuring oxygen is efficiently flowing through your blood, thereby increasing your endurance
- Reduces cholesterol. Paired with a healthy diet, engaging in prolonged stretching exercises can help reduce cholesterol in the body. This could prevent and even reverse the hardening of arteries, helping one avoid heart diseases.
I hope my blog is helping you to understanding a little more about overall health and well being. Please comment below about what you would like me to write about next. Also check out our Instagram or Facebook page for the next Yoga class with Erin Cataldo.
Get Fit Don’t Quit!!